Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Clouser Coach

Things at home are a bit of a mess at the moment, and this is the primary reason why I didn't add any pictures to the last post. I've done a little cleaning and now have a bit of space to display my most recent acquisition for some photos.

Other than the model itself, this was the only thing in the box. It is a list of changes made to the design of the coach and combine models. The coach I purchased is of the later design, while the combine is of the earlier casts.

The rubber bands are prototypical.

One of the 2-56 screws that holds the floor to the rest of the model. On the older models, a threaded rod connected to the roof penetrated the floor and was held in place by a tiny nut.

The level of detail in the Clouser models is incredible, and the fact that his name is still a byword attests to that. That said I have noticed one error with the coach. There is one stack on the roof which (correct me if I'm wrong) I believe is/was connected to the hot water heating system in the car. From all the pictures I've viewed of the 150-164 and 165-169 series&mdsah;which were virtually identical—the stack on the model is on the opposite side of the roof from those on the prototypes. According to the CERA bulletin (either Interurban to Milwaukee or Route of the Electroliners, I forget which) cars 159, 160, and 164, and cars 165 and 167 were converted to electric heat, so removing the stack all together and modeling one of these five cars would fix that problem.

The stack in question and its (approximate) placement on the prototype.

No comments:

Post a Comment