Tuesday, March 17, 2015

The March Meet

This past weekend was the weekend of the O Scale Meet (also known as the March Meet) and I was not going to miss it.

I arrived on Saturday, March 14, about an hour and a half after opening. I was delayed due to celebrating “pi day” by having a slice of pie at 9:26:53 a.m. (3/14/15 9:26:53—or 3.141592653—being the first ten digits of pi.) As always, I was on the hunt for more CA&E, North Shore, and “L” rolling stock and I was armed with a fat wad of twenty dollar bills in my pocket. As such, I was prepared to come and not find anything of particular interest.

Instead, almost immediately I was shown by a member of what my father has dubbed the "Trolley Mafia" to three brass North Shore models by MTS Imports. (I'm terrible with names and I've forgotten his. One of these days this will be the death of me.) Two of the models were early steel coaches from the 1920s with the double-width upper sash windows. As I've decided to model the North Shore circa 1952-1953, these were of no interest. The third was of an appropriate era and I decided to come back to it.

The traction selection was actually quite decent this year, although I did not see any "L" cars for sale. (I later discovered, much to my chagrin, that a pair of 1-50 series cars were sold the previous day—while I was at work.)

I did come across a pair of CA&E 450 series kits, another Clouser coach, and a North Shore wood (one of the ones that made it to the CA&E) but ultimately passed on these as my father already has four (unfinished) 450s and at least one North Shore wood. Instead I returned and purchased the third MTS Imports North Shore coach, a 170-182 series coach.

Still hasn't even been removed from the plastic wrap

I've decided that this car will be paired up with the Clouser coach I acquired last week as part of a Shore Line train. This car may remain unpowered, but whether I power it or not, I'll still have to replace the wheels for 2-rail operation. The Clouser coach and the high 700 will be part of a Skokie Valley train to Milwaukee. I am still waiting for the set of trucks (applicable for both of the latter cars) to arrive.

I also acquired a pair of pantographs for their shoes. And some CA&E trolley beams.

I got quite a bit of griping over the pantograph from my father. Something about "ruining" a pantograph just to get some parts. (For the record, the conscience of Dr. Frankenstein is undisturbed.) Besides, I later discovered that 1) the spring tension is rather weak (which would result in sub par wire contact) and 2) one of the pans is actually broken!

The shoe for this pantograph is a pretty close approximation for the shoes used on the CTA-designed pan-trolleys for the 1-50s and 5000 series assigned to the Skokie Swift. To use it for those two cars, the shoes on both pantographs would need to be removed and then the two halves (visually upper and lower in the image) sawed apart. Thus these two pans would yield the four pantograph shoes required for both models.

After leaving the meet, I attended the open house at Ed Halstead's Chicago & Utopia Railway. I didn't take any pictures, so unfortunately I don't have anything to show from the event. It was still a good time and several interesting models were run including a pair of early St. Petersburg Tram Collection Washington DC pre-PCCs and a South Shore coach. This was my first time seeing a model operating via pans and it helped me to visualize some of the operational differences of model pantographs versus trolley poles.

But enough talk. Time to get back to the shops and start working!

No comments:

Post a Comment